Monday, January 8, 2007

A Reflection on the Christian Artwork

On the close of our trip I would like to reflect back on the experiences that have moved me the most. The point of this class was to explore the idea of art as a tool in the Christian faith and I feel that I've learned so much by being immersed in the fabulous churches here in Rome. A particular experience that sticks out in my mind is our visit to St. John Lateran's. This basilica/cathedral was immaculately decorated with extravagant frescoes and mosaics accompanied by an elegant baldacchino. Upon entering the church, I was overwhelmed at the intricacy of the artwork as well as by its omnipresence. Even more moving, though, was when a choir began singing during mass. It made me feel as if the church itself was encompassing me and it was a very moving experience for me. It put into perspective how I think the creators of the church would have wanted one to feel while standing in it. The intricacy of their artwork astounds me because I cannot begin to fathom how much time, effort, and most importantly, love for God that was needed to create this atmosphere. It still strikes me to think that someone could be so moved by their religion that they want to elicit this same faith in the people that see their work. It is no wonder to me why the people here in Rome seem to care so much about their churches and their faith. I will be truly sad when this trip is over because I've enjoyed seeing these churches and sites and gotten quite used to the extravagance of the churches here. Oh, well. I guess all good things must come to an end.

Ciao!

Amy

No comments: