Monday, January 8, 2007

Pickpocketing in Florence

Buon Giorno!
As Nina mentioned earlier in one of her blogs, somebody from our group got pickpocketed. That was me! I can just sense my family having a heart attack right now. Don't worry! Nothing was stolen and I caught them. What happened was this. Nina, Sunnah, and I were on our way to see the statue of David in Florence. I noticed a young Italian couple behind me, but I didn't think they were theives. To be cautious, I put my hand on my camera in my pocket. They were still with us after a few blocks so I got suspicious. I turned to look and they were right behind me. I kept walking and I tried to call Sunnah and Nina's attention, but they were too far ahead of me to hear, as usual. We were walking on the sidewalk next to a bunch of parked cars so looked in the reflection of the cars and I could see the young woman behind me going through my bag! I turned and confronted her and put my bad in front of me. I called out to Nina and Sunnah and only Sunnah heard me. The couple was still following me! Finally, I glared in their direction and called them theives. They crossed the street, but still followed us until Nina's glare frightened them away. Thankfully, I had nothing of value in my bag and my money is carried in a little passport protector. I'm glad having that thing finally paid off because I look like such a dork with it around my neck! Hopefully, that is the only encounter our group has with pickpockets while we are in Italy!
Amanda

No comments: