Sunday, January 7, 2007

Florence, Assisi, Subiaco, and more...

Well, this is the first chance I have gotten to sit down and blog after the three day trip to Subiaco, Assisi and Florence. It has been beautiful. In Subiaco, we had the chance to see where the Benedictine branch of Catholicism started. It was cool to see the foundations of our school. Following that, we went to the Santa Scolastica Abbey to see and hear about Scholastica. Lunch was fun; all of us sat together and ate some simple sandwiches and chocolate and drank some wine.

Assisi was indescribable. The sun was setting as we got there and it created a great photo op from our deck. Visiting the town was great. Fr. Schulte led us around and pointed out things that were made before the time of Christ. Now that is old! Some of the highlights of the trip was visiting both St. Francis and St. Claire. After watching Brother Sun, Sister Moon, it was too cool to actually see where all of this took place. It was amazing to see how many people were praying to St. Francis at his tomb; it seemed so personal that I felt like I was somehow invading, but yet I was invited to stay. Later, we traveled to see the small church withing a church that St. Francis rebuilt after hearing a plea from God. Again, there was so much feeling that I was overwhelmed with awe. Watching people pray in the miniature church was so personal, it was almost comforting.

Florence was busy, full of people, and absolutely the best place to shop ever! After heading over to the Uffizi to see many religious artwork, we went to the Baptistry to see the golden doors on the east side. There are ten panels on the doors, each of them depicting a different story from the Bible. Next we went to the Academy to see David; he is SO TALL. It made me wonder how Michelangelo did it. Then we went shopping! (Those of you who are reading this and know you are getting gifts, Florence is where I got them!) It was very fun until one of my friends was pickpocketed! She caught them, nothing was taken. SCARY! We departed for Rome that night.
Today, we went to Mass in Santa Susanna. After Mass we headed over to the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. After a breif visit to both, we headed back to the hotel. Sunnah has been kind enough to pass her illness to me and Amanda seems to have hurt her foot on the trek to the Trevi. So we are all under the weather. I am not sad or disappointed; I have been fortunate enough to see all that I wanted to see while here. If I can make it two more days before getting deathly ill (like Sunnah is now), I will be utterly greatful to those above! Will blog soon!
Nina

No comments: