Sunday, January 7, 2007

Back in Rome...

Well, we made it back to Rome and the bus ride was very nice, in my opinion, just because we could nap. When I was awake I did catch some amazing hillsides and scenery. Even the tunnels we went through were pretty neat...too long to hold my breath through, though.

Today was spent at mass and then a trip to the Trevi fountain. Father Greg at St. Susanna was humorous. His tour was short and to the point which was good. The Trevi did get one of my coins today, I will admit.

Again, we went shopping after our wonderful meal at the Hard Rock Cafe. I think it was unanimous that the flashback to American food was much needed. The walk back is always interesting and today, that meant the map was brough out several times and we walked past many more stores that we probably would've needed to. "I really want to come back here," is one of the most common phrases during these times of the day.

I was ready to sleep after our so so so long walking journey but it was off to St. Paul's Basilica. It looked like any church we've seen so far, beautiful columns outside and many statues surrounding, but I was really impressed with the inside. The pictures of all the popes circles much of the walls with some empty spots. I learned today that it is said that the end of the world will come and Christ will return when all the spots are filled with pictures of the popes (we counted 17 spots left so we figure the next few generations don't have to worry about themselves). Listening to the vespers in Latin was very interesting. It felt very peaceful and I took some time to sit and reflect. Faith is a powerful thing and my belief has taken on new meanings after learning some history of Catholoicism, even though I am a Lutheran. I am really enjoying our time spent here and am very glad I got the opportunity to come.

Emily

No comments: