Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Yay for Rome!

Hey everyone,

Internet time obviously hasn't been very high on my to-do list. I am having so much fun here! Rome has been an amazing experience so far. All the walking makes me feel less guilty about all the gelatos (ice cream) we've been buying. Usually we're so tired by the end of supper that we start nodding off before dessert.

It has been interesting with crossing the streets, Mao trying to learn Italian phrases, and getting lost in the tiny streets throughout the city. We have learned that window shopping is best for our bank accounts. However, those poor things will probably be drained by the time we compare prices and return to the stores for the fifth time.

All of the different churches and all of the history we're learning about the city is overwhelming at times. I am learning a lot, though, and I'm getting some great pictures. I am really excited to go home and get them all printed.

We saw the Pantheon a couple days ago. I am glad it hasn't rained much at all since we've been here. That could've gotten interesting.

We went to see the bones of 4,000 friars at one of the churches today. They didn't allow pictures, but I did get a postcard of it. It was kinda funny to see all the intricate work and name all the bones on the walls. The Caravaggios were amazing too. I really liked the Ecstasy of St. Teresa. Let me just say that pictures do not do that statue justice.

A few of us paid a little extra today to take a tour of the Colosseum, Paletine Hill, and the Roman Forum. It was very well worth the little extra. Being at the sites while learning their history makes it so much easier to remember. I think that has been the highlight of the trip so far for me. It doesn't come far behind the excellent plane ride sitting near Kayla, Mao, and Aaron. Sorry for waking you guys up so much...haha. I just hope that someone will be able to push me back onto the plane home. A flight over the ocean, I've discovered, is not my cup of tea. Anyway, I am really looking forward to Assisi and Florence!

Arrivederici!

Emily

No comments: