Wednesday, January 3, 2007

St. Peter's and the Vatican Museum

Okay, so today we toured the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's. They were so big and overwhelming that my neck hurts from looking up. Nothing a goodnight's rest won't cure!
At the Vatican Museum, we left the hotel around 8:20. There was a line about 1/3 mile long just to get in the front door. It went fairly quickly (thank the Man Upstairs), and we got in after about 30 minutes. Then we booked it to the Sistine Chapel. It wasn't too packed when we arrived so we had time to look around. It said no pictures or talking...so of course there were pictures being taken and talking going on. Ah, we did our best to appreciate what we could get.
For our assignment, we were asked to find five representations of the Crucifixon, the Baptism, or the Last Supper. I picked the Baptism of Christ and found, on my own, a total of three representations (guess I picked the hardest, either that or I was looking through closed eyelids). One was on the wall while going down the stairs. It was very small and done in orange and blue. It was done in a geometric style. John the Baptist is pouring one single stream of water from is palm onto Jesus. It is stunning even though it is small in size. Another representation was in statue form. About a foot tall, it has just John and Jesus, John holding a small plate over Jesus's head. The third one I found was in the Sistine Chapel. It was at the left as soon as I walked in. It fit in with the depictions around it quite nicely.
At the Museum, we saw a painting with a man being crucified head down. At first we didn't know who it was. Later, at St. Peter's we found out from Father Graham that it was St. Peter. He didn't feel worthy enough to be crucified like Jesus. Sometimes, that's how I feel here. Some things I don't do because I don't feel like I am worthy enough. Some people say that is crazy, but now I can say, "Look at what St. Peter said! He didn't think he was worthy either!" It gives me a security blanket.
So, it was an exciting day. Tomorrow we depart for Subiaco, Assisi and Florence. Will write when we are back!
Nina

No comments: