Thursday, January 4, 2007

Ciao from Assisi!!

We're having a blast here in Italy. We left Rome this morning and visited Subiaco and saw the Sacro Speco Santuary where St. Benedict was a hermit for 3 years. It was an absolutely amazing church built on the side of a mountain on top of the cave where St. Benedict stayed in the 500's. We also visited the St. Scholastica Abbey and had a wonderful tour of the church and the courtyards by Fr. Schulte. The view from both places was fantastic, though the bus ride up the mountain was a bit precarious. I had to close my eyes a few times.

Rome was magnificent as well. We visited so many places and rang in the new year in style, watching fireworks over Castel Sant' Angelo. We also made the trek up 320 stairs to the Copula at St. Peter's Basilica and took in the view over the city of Rome. Another highlight for me was visiting the Trevi Fountain and throwing a coin over my shoulder signifying that I will once again travel to Rome.

Hi to all back home. I hope you are having a great start to 2007!!!

No comments: