Friday, January 5, 2007

Oh my goodness!

Well, I have been enjoying Assisi and when we got into Florence I was feeling pretty good. All the scenery is amazing and I am kinda disappointed that I can't get the pictures to show what it looks like in person.

We visited a lot of historic religious sites today and it's an experience to be in the place where a lot of important events took place. The walking today included many hills and I have learned to wear comfy shoes. I actually bought some shoes today at one of the shops and I am really excited to wear them.

Walking around is still an adventure because the cars do not slow down for you, even if the streets are the length of two small cars. I really like that about these towns. They are so pretty with the small cobblestone alleys and tiny sidewalks with all the little cars zooming past. They don't even stop for ambulances, which amazed me. Everyone seems very laid back and I like that atmosphere. I definitely do not like the fact that everyone smokes, though. It seems like a way of life here and I can't understand the desire for it I guess. We went to a cute pub in Rome and it was really nice because there wasn't smoking allowed inside. As soon as we stepped outside, however, with all the tables outside, it was like a cloud of smoke seeping into your pores and our jackets all smelled of smoke. I have aired out in the past few days though :) haha. Anyway, I will write again soon. I am really looking forward to the shopping here in Florence!

Emily

No comments: